Thursday, February 20, 2014

Hello, My name is Holly... Did I mention I am 29 and have Arthritis?




My heart is heavy right now. I am 29 years old and just found out that I have arthritis in my back.

Total SHOCK.

I had NO idea.

I never really had any back pain, but my lower and middle back area started to hurt a few days ago and then the pain flanked both sides all the way around. I thought it was kidney pain, so I made an appointment to see my Doctor (in this case a Nurse Practitioner) ASAP.

I had some tests done which revealed it was not bladder or kidney related. The NP ordered me some x-rays (I had six done, total) which revealed that I have arthritis in my back. Go freaking figure!

So, here I am the next day still in shock. I admit I am also feeling a little blue. It's kind of a blow to my entire lifestyle. I will get over it.

In the meantime, there are some changes I am making in my life to make my situation better:
  1. I am changing to an entire Paleo diet/lifestyle. Which means for me: No grains (I was already gluten-free, but now this ups the ante), no legumes, no dairy (already dairy-free), no soy (already soy-free), and no refined sugars. This change in diet will eliminate more possible inflammation triggers, 
  2. I will make sure to take breaks as needed throughout the day and to sit down and rest. I need to let my body rest so I don't trigger a flare-up.
  3. I will begin a very low-impact exercise regimen. I was planning on joining a gym in a few months, but this is no longer plausible. I need low-impact exercises like walking, yoga, and modified pilates. 
  4. Get acupuncture treatments done once a month or as needed.
  5. Get chiropractic treatments done once a month or as needed.
  6. Seek God daily and be grateful to be alive!
There we go. I have somewhat of a plan in place to deal with this and it feels good knowing that there are things I can do in order to improve my situation.

photo credit 

No comments:

Post a Comment